Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Llew Mejia: Fuchsia Birds



Decided to try something a bit different with this post, and do some Mexican folk art styles. Part of my family lives next to an entire area that is just packed with folk art in Mexico and I feel like it really had an impact on me when I was younger. When I first started drawing a lot of what I did was just freestyle brushstrokes and embellishments, which were inspired by folk art from that area. So this was getting back to my roots of drawing.

I had a lot of fun making this one and it works as a horizontal pattern only, and also as a placed graphic. I decided to include the repeat in black and white. The rest is in color, tried to replicate some older art, love it or leave it.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Llew, this is stunning. The level of detail is incredible and I'm a HUGE fan of all things folk art. Really really beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stop looking at this pattern - the level of details is astounding! Gorgeous textures, gorgeous colors - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete