Saturday, March 16, 2013

Majo Bv: Animal Floral



Hi!

 I'm so excited to be part of the 101 Florals challenge... yes, challenge because I'm not much of a flower person. The truth is, I'm terribly and utterly scared of bees and wasps, and flowers attract them so I try to be as far as I can from them. When Llew emailed me to tell me I could be part of their adventure, he also asked me what flower I wanted to work on. I had no idea... tulips came to mind 'cause I had recently received them, but he told me they had already done them. I needed to think, think fast.

 Then it came to me... succulent plants really enchant me. Their shapes are so organic and chubby and some are even protective (think of cacti). I googled succulent plants and the first image that came out was one of these cute tubby mini trunks (fenestraria), and I just felt it had to be my first inspirational subject. I searched for more images and discovered it wasn't one of the typical species you think of when you think of succulent plants: it has flowers and they look quite like daisies only smaller and with thinner petals.

 After the image research I started sketching, and what attracted me the most of all the pics I found is the way fenestrarias look from the top view: their pyramidal trunks create a beautiful pattern when looked form above. My final pattern kind of looks like simplified leopard spots, which I don't really mind: it's hard to come up with a new version of animal prints and I think I just did while actually working on a floral print (lol). Anyway... I hope you all like it. Let me know what you think about it with a comment (comments always make me smile).

 If you want to know more about me or look at some more of my work, just check my blog or my portfolio :) Have a lovely day and see you when I see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment